WEST COWES 

Pictures - Cowes - Cowes 2 - Cowes - the river - Cowes - the town


".....lies on the west bank of the river Medina. It is about twelve miles from Southampton, nearly five north of Newport. It is in the civil parish of Northwood. The town is governed by a Local Board of 35 members. The water supply is managed by the Board. West Cowes is noted all the civilised world over for its yachting, for it furnishes the head-quarters of the grandest yacht club in the world, the Royal Yacht Squadron, who are the lease-holders from the Government of Cowes Castle, one of the fortresses erected by Henry VIII. 

St. Mary’s Church, one of few founded during the reign of Cromwell, was first consecrated in 1662, and was re-built in 1867. It contains chancel, aisles, nave of four bays, a south porch, and a tower with bell and clock. There are several interesting memorials in the building. It can accommodate 960 worshippers, and the cost of the structure was £6,000. 

Holy Trinity Church was erected in 1832 in the Gothic style, at the expense of Mrs S. Godwin, the cost being £6,687. It contains 700 sittings. A school room is associated with the church. 

The Congregational Church is in Union street. It was erected in 1804, and has 250 sittings. 

The Wesleyans have a chapel in Birmingham road, erected in 1831, to accommodate 550 worshippers. 

The Baptist Chapel, in Victoria road, was erected in 1877, and has 350 sittings. 

The Primitive Methodists have two chapels, one in Beckford road, another in Market Hill, as well as another at Gurnard, a mile from West Cowes. 

The United Methodist Free Church, erected in Newport road in 1890, accommodates 500 people. 

The Salvation Amy is represented here by a cause. 

The Roman Catholic Church in Terminus road, close to the railway station, built in 1796 at the cost of Mrs Heneage. It is of brick, and has a chancel and nave. It is capable of holding 250 worshippers. On the north wall is to be seen a valuable painting supposed to be by the celebrated Allesandro da Messina, representing the death of the Virgin Mary, and another stands over the altar representing the Descent from the Cross. 

Banks: Capital and Counties, National Provincial, and London and County. 
There is one local newspaper published at Cowes—the Isle of Wight Herald, belonging to Mr G. Fellows. 

A recreation ground was given to the town in 1859 by Mr W. G. Ward, and in 1864 Mr G. R. Stevenson presented the inhabitants with a grass promenade in front of the beach. There are good boating and bathing facilities here, and the Portsmouth, Southampton, and Bournemouth steamboats call at the pontoon. 

Letters received for delivery 7 and 10.15 a.m., and 5.30 p.m. Dispatched 9.15 and 9.45 a.m. (Isle of Wight), 1, 4.30, and 7.30 p.m. Medina road post office, letters received 9 a.m., 12.40, 4.30, and 6.35 p.m. Wall boxes: Pier, cleared at 9.5 a.m., 12.45, 4.50, and 7 p.m.; Sundays 6.45 p.m. Medina road, a.m., 12.40 and 6.35 p.m. Sundays 6.35 p.m. Mill Hill, 8.55 a.m., 12.20 and 6.50 p.m.; Sundays 6.50 p.m. Park road, 9 a.m., 12.25 and 6.55 p.m.; Sundays p.m. Princes Ground, 9.5 a.m., 12.30 and 7 p.m.; Sundays 7 p.m. Queen’s road, 9.5 a.m., 12.30 and 7 p.m.; Sundays, 7 p.m. The Parade, 9.10 am., 12.35 and 7.3 p.m.; Sundays 7.5 p m. Baring road, 9 a.m., 12.25 and 6.55 p.m.; Sundays 6.55 p.m. Bellevue road, 8.50 a.m., 12.15 and 6.45 p.m.; Sundays 6.45 p.m. " {East Cowes

The Minerva Isle of Wight Pictorial and Guide - circa 1900